21. Which of the following is not a
drawback of a narrow span of control?
It is expensive.
It makes vertical communication in the organization
Supervisors may loose control of their employees.
It encourages overly tight supervision.
22. The trend in recent years has been
narrower spans of control.
wider spans of control.
a span of control of four.
an ideal span of control of six to eight.
23. If you have a narrow span of control, you
have a(n) _____ organization.
24. _____ are consistent with recent efforts by companies to
reduce costs, cut overhead, speed up decision making, increase flexibility, get
closer to customers, and empower employees.
Wider spans of control
Narrower spans of control
25. The best definition for centralization
decision making is pushed down to lower level
decision making is concentrated at a single point in
decision making depends on the situation.
decision making is done in each
department and then sent to the president for the final decision.
26. In an organization that has high
corporate headquarters is located centrally to branch offices.
top level officials are located within the same geographic area.
managers make all the decisions and lower level managers merely carry out
can be taken more quickly to solve problems.
27. The more that lower-level personnel provide input or are
actually given the discretion to make decisions, the more _____ there is.
28. If a job is highly formalized, it would not
include which of the following?
defined procedures on work processes
employee job discretion
large number of organizational rules
29. Explicit job descriptions, lots of rules,
and clearly defined procedures concerning work processes are consistent with:
30. Employee discretion is inversely related