For this week’s discussion, read the case study found in your textbook (Case 19): Google Is Now Alphabet—But What’s the Corporate Strategy? Remember, a case study is a puzzle to be solved, so before reading and answering the specific case and study questions, develop your proposed solution by following these five steps:
1. Read the case study to identify the key issues and underlying issues. These issues are the principles and concepts of the course area which apply to the situation described in the case study.
2. Record the facts from the case study which are relevant to the principles and concepts of the course area issues. The case may have extraneous information not relevant to the current course area. Your ability to differentiate between relevant and irrelevant information is an important aspect of case analysis, as it will inform the focus of your answers.
3. Describe in some detail the actions that would address or correct the situation.
4. Consider how you would support your solution with examples from experience or current real-life examples or cases from textbooks.
5. Complete this initial analysis and then read the discussion questions. Typically, you will already have the answers to the questions but with a broader consideration. At this point, you can add the details and/or analytical tools required to solve the case.
Case Study Questions:
1. What is Google’s corporate strategy? Does Google have a clear vision of what it wants to become?
2. Use Porter’s Essentials Test (Chapter 12) to determine if this strategy creates competitive advantage. If so, how? If not, why not?
3. Look beyond the conventional sources of synergy and consider complementarities, bargaining power, and rivals. What threats does Google face?
4. Does Google need to refocus? How should Google delineate its corporate boundaries and which businesses or products would you recommend abandoning or divesting, if any?
Embed course material concepts, principles, and theories (require supporting citations) in your initial response along withat least one scholarly, peer-reviewed journal article. Keep in mind that these scholarly references can be found in the Saudi Digital Library by conducting an advanced search specific to scholarly references.
You are required to reply to at least two peer responses to this week’s discussion question and/or your instructor’s response to your posting. Your replies need to be substantial and constructive in nature. They should add to and evaluate/analyze the content of the post answer. Normal course dialogue doesn’t fulfill these two peer replies but is expected throughout the course. Answering all course questions is also required.
Use Saudi Electronic University academic writing standards and APA style guidelines.