Sometimes when we thinking working creatively, we imagine beautiful workspaces that redefine the traditional open rows of cubicles that we are often forced to work in. Maybe even some other things like music playing or large collaborative spaces to get people talking about ideas. Often what is neglected when trying to simulate creativity in an organization is the role leaders play in managing and cultivate creativity on a daily basis. Since one of our major course objectives involves discussing the organizational characteristics that influence innovation, we will be taking the opportunity to review an article which demonstrates how SAS was successful in inspiring creativity from its team. To be properly informed prior to participating in this discussion, you will want to read the article assigned in your Harvard Coursepack “Managing for Creativity” (see the syllabus for more details regarding the Harvard Coursepack).
A Call to Action: Imagine you were going to make a presentation to the senior leadership at the organization you are currently working at (or worked at previously). Using some insights from Florida and Goodnight’s article, where do you see barriers to creativity in your organization and how would you recommend leadership approach it?
Expand the Discussion: Think back to the article The Effect of Conformist and Attentive-To-Detail Members on Team Innovation. How do you think someone with a “conformist” style of thinking would do in a management role at SAS?
- Initial posts are due by Friday 11:59pm
- Reply posts are due by Sunday evening (Monday 3am)
- Reply to at least 1 of your peers in this discussion forum.
- Replies should seek to extend the conversation further, adding new thoughts or ideas to expand everyone’s ability to learn more. Please avoid replies that simply agree or restate what the initial poster put.
- It might be useful to compare the action steps from someone else’s post and see how that compares to your organization.
- The instructor may participate selectively in the discussion while monitoring the overall discussion.
WE’VE HAD A GOOD SUCCESS RATE ON THIS ASSIGNMENT. PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT